ASSISTANT RECTOR FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES
ASSISTANT RECTOR FOR OUTREACH AND JUSTICE
Classification Non-exempt Reports to Rector of Parish
Trinity Indy is seeking an energetic priest or transitional deacon to share in leadership of a resourced, vital urban parish of over 350 households. We look forward to welcoming a creative collaborator to join our expanding team, with areas of oversight that match their strengths and passion: either in Outreach and Justice, or Children and Families Ministries. The Assistant, like all clergy at Trinity, will also be a generalist, engaging in preaching, teaching, new member incorporation and especially pastoral care. Trinity is a growing parish with strong lay and clergy leadership: we seek to provide growth opportunities for newly ordained clergy.
Trinity Episcopal Church, founded in 1919 in the heart of midtown Indianapolis, is a diverse and dynamic church with a
passion for outreach, music and liturgy, and spiritual formation for all ages. Our parish balances love for tradition with a desire to put faith into action. Trinity sustains vital community partnerships while creating new initiatives that respond to critical social needs. Our parish campus includes a preK-8 Episcopal school of 350 students as well as the Trinity Outreach Center, where we offer a weekly Sunday Dinner ministry. Our buildings house partner ministries, including an early learning center serving mixed-income families, a food pantry, a legal clinic, and a transitional home for teen mothers. We have a vital refugee welcome ministry and are developing Trinity Haven, the state’s only dedicated residential facility for LGBTQ youth. We are in discernment about founding an Episcopal Service Corps house.
Trinity offers learning for parishioners of all ages. Our nursery is full. Our Sunday School begins at age 4 and is anchored in the Godly Play curriculum. We have a vital Rite 13 and J2A youth program, with youth pilgrimages biannually. We have 12+
choristers and 40+ youth acolytes. Our adult formation program is based in small groups and large forum learning opportunities on Sundays and Wednesday evenings. To accommodate growth, we are expanding our 2-service Sunday schedule to three or more.
Good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively are essential to this position. We seek a colleague who is warm, generous, flexible, imaginative, curious and humorous, with a passion for Jesus Christ, experience with diverse populations, and strong liturgical and preaching skills.
Trinity is passionate about diversity. To reflect our worshipping community, we encourage people of color and LGBTQ individuals to apply for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include
For Outreach and Justice
- Oversee Sunday Dinner program, coordinating part-time Staff and over 100 volunteers.
- Be the primary link of Campus Ministry partners to life at Trinity, and vice versa.
- Coordinate and develop all-parish service events.
- Engage Trinity parishioners with Justice/ Advocacy work in Indianapolis and beyond.
Be a representative to Faith-in-Indiana, a faith-based community organizing organization.
- Be an outward representative of Trinity in the larger Indianapolis community with activists, allies, and future agency collaborators.
- Potentially engage in development of an Episcopal Service Corps house on Trinity’s property.
For Children and Families Ministries
- Develop and maintain an eclectic curriculum for Sunday school, ages Pre-K to 6th grade, and oversee (schedule, conduct and train leaders for) Children’s Liturgy-of-the-Word during primary Sunday service.
- Recruit and train leaders for Sunday School and other children’s programs.
- Be primary pastor, communicator, and evangelist for parents and guardians, particularly as staff for developing a “Children’s Cabinet.”
- Develop community events, summer programs, liturgies, and outreach projects for children and families.
For Both Positions
- Share in leading worship, preaching, and the administration of the sacraments with the Rector and other clergy.
- Share the clergy team in pastoral visitation of shut-ins and the sick.
- Share in formation programs and new member incorporation of the parish.
- Participate in the life of the Diocese of Indianapolis through attendance at clergy and Episcopal gatherings.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Demonstrated experience with leading outreach and hospitality ministries and/or social services OR with children, education, and Christian formation.
- Lively, contagious Christian faith.
- Love of people of all ages.
- Pastoral, collaborative, dynamic, and thoughtful leadership style.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work in teams, flexibility, good sense of humor.
- Ability to use technology, specifically Google, Microsoft Office and social media.
Required Education and Experience
- Priest or Transitional Deacon ordained in the Episcopal Church.
- Master’s degree in Divinity.
- Sunday Dinner Coordinator (part-time).
- OR Sunday School Coordinator (part-time).
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work vary with liturgical schedules.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Trinity Episcopal Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties and responsibilities may change upon mutual agreement with the Rector.
- Please send resume and letter of interest to: [email protected]
- Include “Assistant Rector” in the subject line.
- Include current OTM profile, if available.
- Applications will be considered as they are received, and until position is filled.
- Deadline: Tuesday, February 14, 2020.